Broke da mout’ Hawaiian-style ahi poke – wherever you are
Classic Ahi Poke (no need seaweed)
- 1 pound fresh tuna steak (in Hawaii, we call this “ahi”) cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup fresh limu seaweed, rinsed and chopped (if available)
- 2 tablespoons “shoyu” (aka “soy sauce”)
- 2 green onions, finely sliced (including the green part)
- 1 Hawaiian (or thai) chili pepper, trimmed and minced* (or 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for an hour, or until ready to serve.
As we say in Hawaii: “Have?” or “No have”. If you “no have” seaweed, don’t worry. Hopefully, this poke will still satisfy until you come back.
*Always use caution handling hot peppers, best not to touch cut peppers, or use cooking gloves.