These luscious cookie bars may resemble ordinary lemon squares, but there’s nothing ordinary about them! Tart passionfruit and tangy lime complement each other perfectly. The crust can be made with graham crackers (or whatever cookies you have on hand or that need eating
7 ounces of cookie crumbs
5 tablespoons butter, melted
4 tablespoons brown sugar
Pinch of salt
3 big juicy limes
3 ounces soft cream cheese
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup passionfruit juice or fresh pulp (see tip on removing seeds)
Directions: (Preheat oven to 325º)
- Lightly spray/oil a 9″x9″ inch (or equivalent sized) baking pan.
- Process the cookies in a food processor until they are fine crumbs. Stir the melted butter, brown sugar, and pinch of salt into the crumbs. Blend well.
- Press the crumbs firmly into the pan, making a smooth layer.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Zest 2 of the limes and chop until fine, then juice all 3 limes, taking care to remove the seeds.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the: condensed milk, lime juice, *passionfruit pulp (see below), cream cheese, egg yolk, a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon of the lime zest.
- Pour this mixture into the pan over the cookie crust. Return pan to the oven and bake until center is set, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and let cool on a rack for at least an hour. Chill in the refrigerator for another hour before cutting. Sprinkle bars with remaining lime zest.
*Note: To remove passionfruit seeds when using fresh pulp: scoop the pulp out of the fruit to measure 1/3C, then pulse pulp briefly in a blender or food processor (this breaks the seeds away from the juice) then press through a sieve to remove seeds. This takes a few minutes but the results are well worth it. A guaranteed hit at parties!